There are plenty of ways to make a tasty meal and there are plenty of ways to make a beautiful looking meal. The trick, of course, is to try and make a tasty and beautiful looking meal at the same time!
This is a favorite of mine because it is both simple to pull together but still very tasty. Leftovers heat up great over the course of a week, too, but this is something of a family favorite with even the picky ten year old boy enjoying it as a side dish. Personally I’ll eat it as a main course but anything that gets him eating vegetables is a good thing.
- 4 courgettes
- 4 red onions
- 8 roma tomatoes
- Small jar of vegan pesto
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Wash the courgettes and tomatoes, and peel the onions
- Slice the courgette thinly into rondelles – there will be many so make sure you have somewhere to store them
- Slice the onions about the same thickness as the courgettes – there’ll only be about half as many rondelles but that’s fine
- Slice the tomatoes into rondelles, too – again, there’ll be about half as many as the courgettes
- In a circular baking dish arrange the rondelles standing on their sides. Alternate courgette-onion-courgette-tomato and so on until you have a complete circle around the edge of the dish.
- Continue with concentric circles until the dish is full
- Empty the pesto and spread evenly across the top of the vegetables until it is completely covered
- Bake for 90 minutes then serve or pack into containers for the week
Nutrition (estimate per serving)
- Calories: 127
- Carbs: 11 grams
- Net Carbs: 8 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
Totally inspired by this slightly more complicated version of the same here.