Not everything needs to be complicated (see my Cucumber and Avocado salad as proof of this!) and when it comes to my simple ratatouille, that’s certainly the case.
This is something that I make in a batch on the weekend then let sit in the fridge to be doled out during the week. It makes about three servings and I either eat those alone as a light lunch or mix the veggies in with something else to add some flavor. In the last week, for example, I threw a serving in with some cold beetroot and spring onions and – voila! – there’s a vegetable mashup that makes an excellent and nutritious lunch.
- 1 courgette
- 1 eggplant
- 1 brown onion
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the vegetables (COVID-19, people!) and peel the courgette and the onion
- Dice the courgette and eggplant
- Cut the onion in half and slice
- In a deep frypan or saucepan add the cherry tomatoes and let them start to cook off
- When the tomatoes are softened and starting to split, add the other vegetables and stir together
- Add some salt and pepper to taste, then cover and let the vegetables cook
- When the vegetables are soft, uncover to let the liquid steam off
- When things are looking well cooked take the pan off the heat and transfer the contents to a storage container
Nutrition (estimate per serving)
- Calories: 120
- Carbs: 28 grams
- Net Carbs: 20 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
- Fat: 1 gram
The end result will look nothing like the photo at the top of the post but it will taste wonderful!